Thursday, September 3, 2015

Contacts have been replacing glasses as the preferred eyewear for those with blurry vision for year.
The CDC is now estimating that over 30 million people worldwide utilize the little things. Some people even wear them for the cosmetic effects they can bring to the table, such as cat’s eyes, or the full black one most commonly seen around Halloween. What both groups have in common, the cosmetic group and the group that needs them for their vision, is that not all of them will remove the lenses before heading to sleep, a mistake that could easily cost you dearly.
Due to the nature of contact lenses, they are considered medical devices and receive FDA regulation. To put them in you need to have clean hands, clean lenses and sanitary conditions; any dust or other particles will easily get caught and immediately transferred to your eyeball! So you can only imagine what happens when you let that dirt and bacteria sit on your eye overnight. Chad Groeschen knew the risks, and decided to buy ‘extended wear’ lenses that are supposedly safe to leave in overnight, thinking that would be alright to have. He was wrong.

He went about his days normally, with his left eye watering and growing a little blurry, assuming it was only allergies. One night he went to bed and left them in as the product description claims is safe to do. When he woke up in the middle of the night, he never expected it to have done this much damage. He awoke with extremely cloudy vision, and a massive headache caused by the sinus pressure that managed to build up.

Remember everyone, do yourself the favor and just remove your lenses before you head to bed. It can be a pain, but your vision and health will thank you in the long run!



Post a Comment