Ali and Derek Dodd from Oklahoma are the proud parents of the 5-year-old Presley. For 11 weeks, they have been one family member richer: baby Shepard is their toothless ray of sunshine. But as they dropped off their son one morning to daycare, they didn't realize that this would be the last time that they'd hold their baby alive in their arms.
The nanny leaves the infant unbuckled in a baby-seat unattended to sleep. 2 hours later, when she checks on the baby, Shepard was already blue and unconscious. She immediately calls 911. "I was in the middle of a class when my wife phoned and said I needed to come instantly - Shepard's not breathing," remembers father Derek. "I ran to the car and raced to the nanny's house. As I arrived they brought my son out on a stretcher. I drove in front of the ambulance and had to prepare myself for a life without my son. . ."
Even though the doctors fought for his life, Shepard dies in the hospital. The cause of death: "positional asphyxia." I